Miami: city of vice, home of the South Beach Diet, Art Deco paradise….. Miami is a land of sun and sand, and an excellent destination for rest, relaxation, and gourmet food. Whether you are escaping the frigid cold of a northern winter or jetting off for a sunny summer getaway by the ocean, Miami is always a good idea. Here are a few suggestions of how to spend your time this beautiful port city.
- Have a Day at the (South) Beach: No trip to Miami would be complete without a visit to trendy South Beach. The neighbourhood is the oldest in the Miami area, established in 1910, and is a draw to many visitors with its myriad of hotels, restaurants, shops and nightclubs, as well as access to the gorgeous Miami Beach, where you can soak up the sun, do a bit of surfing and watch the cruise ships set out to sea, all under the watchful eye of an ever present lifeguard.
- Grab a Quick Lunch: Whole Foods Market, an american grocery chain specializing in organic food and the promotion of healthy eating habits, is popular throughout the world. It’s a particular asset when traveling, and a popular choice for Miami tourists and locals alike. Drop by one of the many, often solar-powered, locations to pick up prepared meals, buy a freshly made smoothie or breakfast bowl, or stock up on groceries for a meal at home.
- Take a Coffee break: Panther Coffee is a local coffee shop with a great in house brew, making it the ideal place to get your caffeine fix or replenish your ground coffee stash with such cleverly named coffees as the East Coast Brew to the Brazilian Fazenda Furnas to the 1985 Espresso.
- Your standards: The Standard is an iconic spa and hotel in Miami. Featuring a classic 1920’s art deco aesthetic and ambiance, it is a quintessential part of Miami zeitgeist. Whether you are indulging in a relaxing spa treatment, eating at the house restaurant on the quay, or just lounging on the beautifully landscaped terrains, fully equipped with hammocks and lounge chairs, the Standard is a necessary stop on your Miami city tour.
- Recharge with Yoga: Modo Yoga Miami Beach offers challenging hot yoga classes to keep you flexible and in tip top shape for the beach. The friendly staff and skilled instructors will help you decompress as you focus on mindfulness and test the limits of your body. An excellent choice for surfers, yogis and novices alike.
- Lounge it Out: Nikki Beach is a delightful place to have a bite after a day of rest and relaxation on Miami Beach. The beach club, established in 1998 and boasting other locations throughout the world, opens up onto the beach so that you can a gourmet pizza and signature mojito under the sun, in total luxury.
- Enjoy a Riverside Meal in the City: Cantina La Viente conveniently located in downtown Miami, just off of the famous Miami islands, offers meals on par with the delicious gourmet standard set by the city, all while allowing you to watch the Miami River flow into the Atlantic.
- See it by bike: After a day at the beach, stretching it out at yoga, and refuelling with a coffee, treat yourself to a bike tour of Miami. Citi Bike Miami is an excellent transportation option for those looking to stay active and explore this fair weather city. The solar-powered shared bike company offers affordable rates and can be easily accessed from a myriad of docking stations located throughout the city, available year round, 24/7. Cycle your way to your next Miami adventure.
- Bask in Art Basal: If you are lucky enough to be in town during the annual Miami Art Basal weekend, you will see Miami at its liveliest. The international art festival, including events in Hong Kong and Switzerland, sees the city besieged by the contemporary artists, exhibiting their works in collaboration with local Miami institutions and organizations. It is a weekend rife with parties and events, enjoyed by artists, art lovers, celebrities, tourists and laymen alike. Art Basel 2018 will take place from December 6-8.